What better way to warm up a winter wedding than with a decadent, spiked hot chocolate – complete with rich whipped cream and garnishes your guests can serve up themselves. Use your favorite hot chocolate for this recipe (a new personal favorite of mine is Christopher Elbow’s Cocoa Noir Drinking Chocolate - so dark and delicious!).
Add to the fun by letting guests add the booze and toppings of their choice. Our garnishes here include: toasted sliced almonds, turbinado sugar, coconut, brownie chunks, and chocolate, white chocolate, and butterscotch chips.
Says Maggie: “When the temperatures get frigid, only one type of warmed mug will do. It has to be deep, filled with fine hot chocolate and hand-whipped cream. And sometimes, after a snowy shoveling marathon, I add a shot of something strong and indulgent. I prefer the nutty flavor of Amaretto; it hints at July almond harvests in Sicily, exactly where I want to be in the middle of winter. But experiment with your favorite liqueur – Bourbon, brandy, Kahlua and rum are all lovely options.”
Spiked Hot Chocolate
• 1 cup of your favorite hot cocoa mix
• ¾ ounce of Amaretto, plus 1 tablespoon
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• various sweet treats for garnish (optional)
1. Whip cream in a metal bowl with a whisk until soft peaks form. Mix in 1 tablespoon of Amaretto and set in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Prepare your favorite hot cocoa mix according to package directions. Stir in ¾ ounce of Amaretto. Pour evenly between two small cups and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
3. Garnish with anything your heart desires, such as shredded coconut or slivered almonds.
Leave a Comment