The Mai Tai is a classic cocktail, full of island flavor and just the right amount of tropical sweetness. Thanks to Paula Le Duc and Josh Gruetzmacher here’s how to make the perfect, old-fashioned Mai Tai:
1944 Mai Tai
Glass – rocks/old fashioned filled with crushed ice
Method – shake and strain
Garnish – slapped mint sprig; inverted lime shell
• 1 oz. aged Jamaican Rum (we recommend Appleton VX)
• .75 oz. house-made spiced rum
• .75 oz. fresh lime juice
• .5 oz. orange curacao (we recommend Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao)
• .5 oz. orgeat syrup (we use house-made orgeat, but highly recommend Small Hands Foods orgeat as an alternative)
• Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass over crushed ice.
• Insert an inverted lime shell in center of the drink.
• Fill lime shell with .5 oz. dark rum.
Share your homemade 1944 Mai Tai on Instagram and tag us @snippetandink for a chance to be featured.